Hop on a motorcycle and ride across China. Ride into the West. Out of urban industrialization and into the borderlands. Over packed dirt and concrete to a land still breathing with its own lungs. Bring your friends. If you think you’re dreaming, pay more attention.
From Collages

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

All the Pretty Horses

In Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses, two young men from Texas wander on horseback into Mexico where they search for work and a meaning for their lives. After buying sleeping bags and pads and tents, I can't stop imagining myself as McCarthy's hero, John Grady Cole: strappin' on my bedroll and saddlin' up and ridin' all night and sleepin' under the stars. Granted, my horse is mechanical and my "bedroll" is camping equipment and I won't be "ridin' all night" or "sleepin' under the stars" nor have I ever worked on a ranch or been put into prison or used a gun to threaten or kill someone. And I don't plan to. But maybe wandering is just about finding yourself or finding that elusive meaning, wherever you come from and however it happens.

T

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tristan, I love that you're riding a motorcycle! Luke and I have been talking about getting ones for ourselves for a couple months now.
Be safe!
Roni